Our History (cont.)
As the church grew, so did the need for classrooms. The church grew from a membership of 123 to around 180 in the late 1940's. Over the years the church building had been wearing out. It had been damaged by a tornado and had served for 50 years.
In the latter part of 1948, a campaign was started to raise money for a new building which would have several classrooms, a kitchen and a dining room. Excavation of the basement was started by Lester and Waldo Boss who who built a special machine for the purpose.
The work began with a minimum of funds and much donated labor, but progressed in a miraculous way. The first Sunday School and Church Services were held in the new building on January 29, 1950. Dedication was postponed a short time so that the money borrowed to install an adequate heating system could be repaid and the church could be dedicated debt free.
God kept adding to our numbers. By the summer of of 1952, there was a need for more classrooms. The men of the church tore down the old building of 1901 and used the materials to help build an annex to the new building, which was finished and dedicated on June 27, 1954. A baptistry was installed in March of 1955, and a new stone building front was completed in May of 1955.
The church enjoyed a period of substantial growth from 1958 to 1962, and during the time period of 1967 to 1970 a new sanctuary was planned and completed in 1971. A note burning ceremony for the sanctuary was held in May of 1978.
Again, the need arose for rooms for educational purposes, prompting the planning of a new educational building. Rev. Clyde Spurgin was pastor at this time. Bonds were sold and construction was started. It took several pulls and pushes to topple the old First Baptist Church building. The church was razed to make room for the needed education space. The old building had been serving as a fellowship hall and classroom building since the new sanctuary had been constructed next to the old building. A ground breaking ceremony for the new addition was held Sunday, August 13, 1978. <Previous Next >