The First Baptist Church of Green Forest was organized in 1854. The meeting site of the the congregation was in a log cabin near the present site of the Green Forest United Methodist Church. Rev. Isaac Standlee, the patriarch of pioneer Baptists in Carroll County, conducted the organization of the church. During the Civil War, First Baptist apparently disbanded and ceased to hold services. After the War ended, the community began to pick up the pieces. One of the Major steps occured in 1869 when the church reorganized and began services again. The same Rev. Isaac participated in the reorganization.
The small band of Baptists struggled through some tough years of turmoil with petty contentions and church discipline keeping the little congregation from experiencing much spiritual or numerical growth.
A change came when a revival meeting took hold of the congregation and rejuvenated them. During the winter of 1898, Evangelist C.J.F. Tate conducted an extended revival that shook the community. Literally the whole town was converted. It took all the persistence the evangelist could employ to bring the meeting to a close. An eager congregation remained in their seats even after the final doxology was sung three times and the regular dismissal hour had come and gone.
Several converts were baptized in Yocum Creek near the present highway crossing. Yocum Creek is cold during the summer, and this was in the middle of winter! The ice had to be broken in order for the baptisms to take place!
There was no official church building for a few years. Meetings were held in homes and, if the weather was favorable, brush arbors, with only an occasional pastor. Through the courtesy of the Methodist Church, their place of worship was used as a place of meetings and gatherings.
Finally, on Thanksgiving Day, November 28, 1901, the cornerstone was laid for a new one room building near the site of the present location on West Main. Persons in 13 different states and one foreign country contributed money for the building. The total cost was $1,600, but all the funds had not been raised. The small balance remaining was collected and the church was dedicated debt free on August 16, 1902.